Something Desired as Essential

There’s something about gloomy weather that makes me think gloomy thoughts, and brilliant weather that makes me think brilliant thoughts as well. When will you ever realize that there is not anyone out there for us who’ll make our lives heaven on earth? Not until you realize and embrace your ability and responsibility to make your own life heaven first will you find your one true love, a true friend. Get the picture? It is like you cannot really find the one person who will make you happy in this world until you find ways for yourself to be happy. We are responsible for our lives, our actions, our feelings – everything. We are responsible for all that is ours and only after we learn to take responsibility for what is ours can we move on to being responsible for someone else- that someone else that could be our love of our lives or a guiding true friend of our life. No one can make you happy in the same way that nobody can teach you love and pain. At best we can be inspired by others to be happy and to learn, but we can never be taught anything, really. Life is surely hard. We learn by our own, work by our own, and love by our own.

I find it funny when examining Desiderata. In some ways, it gave me a wider perspective in life. It keeps one in a positive thinking attitude in every aspect in life even though it always comes the way around. I am not being pessimistic or whatsoever, but I think that we should make it a point of pointing out the weak, bad sides of what is happening around us. Does it make any sense if we face the possible errors in life?

Desiderata are a piece which shows the reality of life and how to deal with it as humanly as possible.

The essence of being human shows in Desiderata. We individuals have become so absorbed in our daily quest for success that we at times miss the real objective: finding one’s own happness. For my part, I have been struggling to overcome my own weak points that I have set myself personal craving for success, one after the other. I have to admit, it’s a race out there, and I am certainly one of the masses of participants wanting to be at the top, or at least be one of the winners of the world. After all, it is they who are admired, appreciated, and even loved, and I just have to do my very best at all times to be with the “in” crowd. I felt a sense of superiority in me each time I climbed one stepping stone after the other, believing that I will someday be invincible – always winning, never failing. It is that sort of perfection that I have wanted deep within, diving even further to win, and again, and again.

But then, reality has a way of reminding me that I have a long way to go. I thought that my status in life as quite a well-off person sets me above the rest, and it would only be a matter of time before I take over and lead. But along the way, I was proven wrong. Comparing myself with others, I realized that I could be anywhere – at the top where I feel ecstasy, in the middle where I feel secure but lacking, or even at the bottom where frustration lies to be felt. Understanding it all, someone my age from a lowly station in life could be better than me, not certainly in terms of wealth, but in other ways such as intelligence, self-reliance and even a longer line of experience in coping out with the stress and harshness of daily living. Then again, I could be way above another who is more financially secure with all the luxuries that man has developed, who could project and wield influence, but who lacks intelligence, courtesy, discipline, understanding and respect from his peers.

I have been raised and made to understand the value of competition, at least in the school level. Winning, I have wanted to win more, more often than not forgetting my own welfare for a coveted title other than honors, credits, special pins and medals; and losing, I felt nothing more than emptiness. It was at that latter part that I overlooked my own achievements: I had at several times stepped up the stage in convocation ceremonies for special recognitions; I won in contests for talents not commonly shared by everyone; I felt the rush of self-worth and self-respect that I was longing for; I was able to make my loved ones proud of me. After looking back and remembering my share of success, I made a step backwards and told myself: not bad, not bad at all. These are things that are quite fresh in my memory and would continue cherishing, but there will come a time that I have to push forward for more. Things of my past will form my personal history, and there is no such thing as forever for them that I have to let go to survive future challenges and hold out to win, this time with experience.

For my years of still growing up and learning, many things stand out as my guide. And after reading “Desiderata” and accepting its teachings by heart, I realized that what I have been living for are all there in what I describe as a product of a wise author who had been around, only that I got that high feeling that such writing will guide me even better in the future. What I have to do for my part is to be human as I can, but with tenderness, better understanding, higher wisdom, stronger spirit, better self-worth, and with greater ties with God who is always there to see me through.

What I have been doing all these years was reflected in “Desiderata,” only learning more and seeing the light for a clearer picture of the things I have to go through. It was a unique experience, teaching me the right way to be human, more importantly to be me as I am while doing all that I can to find everybody’s ultimate goal: a happy ending.

1 comments:

  Anonymous

Fri Oct 21, 09:24:00 PM

i've never read anything as calm as your entry.im not sure. and to think you're talking about (maybe) life in general. it's kind of inspiring. i agree with you on the whole responsibility thing.

"We are responsible for all that is ours and only after we learn to take responsibility for what is ours can we move on to being responsible for someone else- that someone else that could be our love of our lives or a guiding true friend of our life."--- amen to that!:)